Important information for all Parents
School will be closed on the 19th March
I have had a lot of information from parents and staff in CM and I have decided that we will close tomorrow.
The MET office have extended the Amber warning into Monday and snow will continue overnight with low temperatures into the day tomorrow.
I fully expect that we will be open Tuesday as the temperature rises. I am sorry for the inconvenience this will cause but hope that an early warning will help you plan for your day. I have been told that travel by 4×4 is essential and that some families in the outer reaches of the village will not be able to travel – so please be careful if you intend to try and get to work yourselves.
I have been watching with interest the decisions of the schools around CM and the ones I know in Barnstaple. I have also listened to parents talking about the school closures in the last couple of weeks. It is obviously a difficult decision to close a school. The over-riding factor is child safety but we also have to consider everyone involved with school. Child safety includes who will look after your child on the premises. So while you may be able to get your child to school our ability to ensure safety is a factors we have to put first. As you know all of the teachers live outside of the village. If it was only one or two then it would be different I’m sure. Interestingly the other schools around us reached the same decision last night and the Academy is partially open for older children who are safely able to travel. So, we all came to the same decision.
The main problem parents seem to have isn’t closing for safety reasons – it is the notice they get and a definite decision quickly so they can plan for their family. The response that I got from my quick poll from parents on closure was 80/20 early on and then 75/25 (to close) just before I made my decision. The information from parents was fantastic and the insight it gave me as to the conditions in the village was very helpful. Being able to decide the night before, for me as a Head Teacher, was very positive. There is not much that can happen overnight to completely change a decision!
I did not decide to partially open for several reasons. I cannot guarantee staff being able to get to work. I could not provide food for the children. Partial opening in the afternoon would still have disrupted your day and work. A partial opening in the afternoon – To drop off and pick up from school in the space of 2 hours – would still cause disruption to your day, possibly more so than closing. I have just been informed that Mullacott is closed and the surrounding roads due to crashes. I am very pleased that no one from our school is stuck as they were trying to get to work in very difficult conditions.
I am still working and have meetings in accessible places from 11. I hope this gives you a little insight into what is quite a ‘busy’ evening deciding what to do!
See you tomorrow. Any further comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, sorry for any inconvenience caused.